Monday, April 23, 2012

Conscious Discipline Behavior Strategy

I wanted to share with you a behavior management technique we have been using in my classroom for a while. It is from Conscious Discipline. It has worked wonderfully. In my classroom, we call it The Mirror. I am amazed at how well this technique has been working with my little ones. When one child is feeling angry or sad, they know they may go to the  mirror to choose a way to handle their anger, sadness, etc.


This is the front of it. I like how the children are able to see what they look like when they are feeling angry, sad, happy, etc. They must choose what their goal is and velcro it in the box. More times than not, they choose "feel better." :)

Once they have decided on a goal, they flip the mirror over. This is what the other side looks like. They are able to choose how they are feeling, and then decide how they are going to handle their feelings. They are given the choice to do things such as use a squeeze ball, draw a picture, and write in their journals.

I highly recommend this strategy to other teachers as well as parents. This teaches children that it is okay to be upset and angry. We must teach them how to handle these emotions in a healthy way and I think this strategy is a fabulous way to do that.

Enjoy your week!

11 comments:

Erin Lukas said...

Julia, I love this! It reminds me a lot of the reflection area we use, but I love the way this is set up and structured so much more!

If I just google Conscious Discipline will I find it?

Erin
Creating & Teaching

Erin Lukas said...

Julia, I love this! It reminds me a lot of the reflection area we use, but I love the way this is set up and structured so much more!

If I just google Conscious Discipline will I find it?

Erin
Creating & Teaching

Erin Lukas said...

Julia, I love this! It reminds me a lot of the reflection area we use, but I love the way this is set up and structured so much more!

If I just google Conscious Discipline will I find it?

Erin
Creating & Teaching

Ziggyfriends said...

Julia,
I've gotten very interested in CD strategies. Is this a product that goes along with the book or something you set up? I think this is really cool and would work well for my kinders.

Donna
darryl40w@att.net

Lyn Goff said...

This is really cool. I've been using Kelso's Choices in my classroom. I really like it but it doesn't focus as much on feelings.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I found your blog through Erin at Creating and Teaching, and I'm your newest follower. I really like this behavior strategy you use!

Kara
Spedventures

Miss Trayers said...

I'm really considering implementing CD next year as well.I saw Becky Bailey speak at a conference this year and though it was really inspiring. So, thank you for sharing some of the tools that have worked for you! :)

NotJustChild'sPlay

Mrs. Shelton said...

I really like this! :) I think that is the program they have been using with a child who has autism that I am getting in the fall. I may look into this! Thanks! :)
Sarah
Kindergarten Korner

Unknown said...

Hi Julia! I am your new follower =). I just bought this the other day. I have watch videos and read through concious disciplines website and I am so eager to learn more. Would you be able to chat with me over email about this behavior strategy? Im student teaching in the fall and I would love to learn about this and use it. My email is xo7sugarbear7xo@gmail.com

Julia said...

Try www.consciousdiscipline.com for this! I am not 100% sure where you can find it...

Heather's Heart said...

I love this and have used this in a modified way since I did not have the actual product.

Have you used the Time Machine?

Thank you for sharing and spreading the word about CD! =)


Heather
Heather's Heart